This is for yesterday, when I was at my mother's with a lack of internet access:



When I return to Austin tomorrow it will be a breath of fresh air; the next time I see my mother it will be too soon! I chose this song for today because not only is it awesome, but for the fact that it relates to the current predicament that I can't wake up properly when I'm not in a proper bed. Yesterday I slept horribly! I spent the night on the living room floor (of my mother's apartment for clarification) on sheets that although proper for the current weather outside hinder my attempts at lying comfortably on floor. Nonetheless, I still had some pretty interesting dreams, one about being reassured one hundred from my boss for the week (whether that is 100 dollars or 100 hours I didn't get) along with another dream concerning roaches in my house that weren't roaches but turned into beetles.

This reminds of the movie I saw a few weeks ago, Inception. Before I go any further I do recommend that everyone go see it, but I will warn that it does make you think. Actually, if you don't feel like thinking, you shouldn't be reading this blog :p . Anyway, it deals with dreams and so forth but one interesting aspect of the movie is that of the architect. Without trying to give too much away, this person serves to create the world in which a person's dream occurs. However (quite fittingly), the dream is the one that populates the dream and fills it with his desires. I found this eerily mirroring true like architect-client relationships, especially when if you do things to throw the world out of balance or not complicated enough, the dreamer's subconscious will attack you!

Speaking of architects, today while lunching (yes it was lunch time therefore the word is appropriate) at my favorite Chinese restaurant back in SA I learned that the owner was actually an architect in China before he came here and started his business. I learned about what they want, the process of creating a building and pretty much everything else he could throw us in the 15 minute span he spent teaching us (me, specifically) as we gulped down our egg drop soup and hurried through the last bits on our plates. It was amazing to think of the power that the architect holds in China - they actually supersede the engineer in Asia and it is one of the top professions to be a part of, paraphrasing the owner:

'Top three jobs in Asia: one, doctor; two, lawyer: three, architect

Overall it had me very impressed and gave me reason to rethink my plans. Should I still go to school in England? A part of me is thinking yes, and then move towards doing work in China. Even so, I need to focus on today and making sure I get through this year, this semester, this WEEK before I try and think about future plans. There are always variables that could change the life I end up leading so if they come my way I will flow around them just as always.

0 comments:

Copyright 2010 ArchStar
Lunax Free Premium Blogger™ template by Introblogger